50 years of experience and quality
In 1922, "Präzisions-Werkzeugmaschinen-Fabrik Josef Schwahlen" was founded. The company specialised in manufacturing hydraulic tools for use in boilers at shipyards, boiler forges and for the German Railways "Deutsche Reichsbahn" until their facilities were destroyed during the Second World War. During the reconstruction of Germany from 1945 on, work commenced again but was subject to severe restrictions imposed by the allies, in particular with regard to ship building, and production was switched from hydraulic tools to mechanical and hydraulic lifting machinery.
In 1956 the company’s tradename, HYWEMA® (Hydraulische Werkzeuge Maschinen), was registered. After moving to new, enlarged, premises within Solingen, now situated on Wuppertaler Strasse, the company had a total of around 28.000 sq. m available, of which about 18.000 sq. m was for manufacturing.
A new manufacturing plant, especially for the production of large-scale, heavy lifting platforms, was completed on-site in 1976. This additional capacity meant our production of mobile vehicle lifts, both series and custom-built versions, and our large-scale, heavy-duty lifting platforms for commercial vehicles and railway rolling stock was further enhanced.
At the beginning of 1991, an additional large-scale assembly hall with 1.000 sq. m of floor space came on-stream especially for custom-building tool-change trolleys with capacities of up to 120 t, hydraulic heavy-duty lifting platforms for up to 100 t, assembly platforms, welding stands and lifter-turners. In particular with Europe "92" in mind, the Company concentrated on assuring product quality and improving rapid supply of spare parts, well beyond the usual 10-year availability limit, for all product ranges.
Our philosophy of producing high-grade, state-of-the-art and, in particular, extended lifetime machinery for our clients at home and abroad, is documented in our BG-PRÜFZERT Quality Assurance Certificate.
HYWEMA® -Hebebühnen was one of the first lifting platform manufacturers in Germany to be certified by two independent QM systems: verification level of DIN EN ISO 9001 and Module H (comprehensive quality assurance) in accordance with Resolution 93/465/EWG of the European Commission. For many decades the name and registered trademark HYWEMA® has stood for Quality, Reliability, Safety and long service lifetimes. The continuation of the Qm-system occurred in 2004; and it was translated into DIN EN ISO 9001:2000.
In 2008 the former DIN EN ISO 9001:2000 certificate was accomplished to the DIN EN ISO 9001:2008. The DGUV - technical committee for engineering and lifting gear was chosen as partner once again.
With validity of the new machinery directive 2006/42/EG at the turn of the year 2009/2010, HYWEMA obtained the certification for the extensive quality assurance after annex X of the machinery directives, as first BG-Prüfcert verified company by the inspecting- and certification office of the technical committee.